Ultimate Sacrifice by S.E. Green

To begin I want to thank Mindy Mcginnis, as it was thanks to her that I was able to win a copy of this ARC (along with some rather amazing book swag). So thank you again for choosing me!


About the book:

Vickie has always lived a quiet, ordinary life in an equally quiet and ordinary small town. Yet one fateful night a child turns up dead in the woods behind her house in a ritualistic slaughter. 

Vickie and her family are suddenly thrown into a national spotlight. 

But as the investigation unfolds, she begins to realize her family isn’t so ordinary after all. Evil is inching closer to those she holds dear and Vickie isn't sure who she can ultimately trust.





So my copy, as you can see, is just a simple blue color (which is still very lovely) so I didn't get the full impact of the full cover. To me, it's meant to inspire fear a dread; the encroaching trees with the spindly limbs, as well as the forest floor tinted red (which having read the book I know isn't a reference to fall as this takes place just before the beginning of summer break). I also really liked the scratchy writing the made up the title, definitely fitting when it comes to the books contents.

Now, this book had we awake all hours late into the night, in what I can only describe in a good way. I spent the entire novel delving into each character as they were presented to try and figure out who could have committed this heinous act. 

We find a young girl, Michelle, has been brutally murdered in the woods behind Young Vickie's home, and by all likely-hood the immediate suspects would be the family; Father, mother, Travis - Vickie's twin, Kevin, Uncle Jerry and the paternal grandfather known fondly as PawPaw. But, much as I was led to believe from the narrative, these simple people couldn't have been the culprits, they were too close with the victim and her family.

Through Bee-Bee we are given a mother grieving for her young child, taken too soon in such horrific circumstances.

But as the book continues, things begin to not add up, namely that our MC believe's that her family is being framed by whoever committed the crime, though the motive for why they would be selected in unclear. I sat on the edge of me (figurative seat) as Vickie tries to navigate this new world is which she herself is suspect, with the constant attention of media and police alike. So many times I had wanted to take her by the hand as she slowly descended into erratic behavior that was so very unlike her, aware that it wasn't morally just and wondering if she was slipping into madness trying to solve whatever was going on in her small town.

Not being an expert on cults or anything of the like, I can definitely see a pretty accurate representation of what would be considered an extremist faction.

This is a book I would definitely recommend, based on the fact that once I picked it up I could scarcely put it down, the determination to find out who was responsible too great.

Being that this is my second book review, I hope that I am progressing as I begin traversing through the blogging world. Any tips on how I can make this better would be greatly appreciated! 

Until next time, happy reading y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts